Improving Quality of Life Through Effective Intervention

Funding Resources

Behavioral services may be accessed in a variety of ways. Behavioral services can be paid for with funds available through insurance, grants, federal and state agencies, and through private means. In addition, behavioral services can be provided by school, Early Childhood Intervention services, local services, and MHMR centers.

Early Intervention Services: Birth to 3
For children under the age of 3, each state provides services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA). Each state must assess your child to determine if your child meets the eligibility criteria. In most states, the child must have an identified disability such as Down syndrome or they must qualify based on a developmental delay.If your child is eligible, then you and the specialists will develop an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP). That plan will determine what services your child needs and how often they are needed. In most states, these services are free. However, in some states, the services are provided on a sliding scale. Further information about Early Intervention can be found at ( and at NECTAC ( If you think your child has a behavioral need, contact your provider to request an assessment. In Texas call 1-866-581-9328. In Connecticut call 800-505-7000. In Florida call 800-218-0001

Within the state of Florida, parents/families who have a child with special needs may be eligible for a scholarship to assist in funding therapies and specialists, private school or home education, curriculum, technology, college or post secondary education and/or a combination therof. Information on all three scholarships can be found by following the corresponding links below.
Gardiner Scholarship
McKay Scholarship
Forida Tax Credit Scholarship

Public School Provision of Behavioral Services; Students Age Three to 21

For children who are 3 years up to age 21, behavioral services are provided by the school district. If you think your child has a behavioral need, you will need to request an assessment from the district to determine if your child has a disability or if special behavioral supports are needed. If your child has an Individualized Education Program (IEP), then you will need to request additional services for your child's IEP. Usually a request for a functional behavioral assessment will be sufficient to start the process. Further information about behavioral service provision and public schools can be found at the US Department of Education ( For information on schools, discipline and behavior, Wrightslaw carries a number of relevant articles and links (

Individuals with Disabilities Over 21

Behavioral services and supports are provided by a state agency. In Texas, the services are provided by the Department of Aging and Disabilities. In Connecticut they are provided by the Department of Developmental Services. In Florida they are provided by the Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD). You will need to complete various applications to be approved for funding. In Texas: Contact the Department of Aging and Disability Services (webpage: In Connecticut, the Department of Disability Services (webpage: In Florida contact the Agency for Persons with Disabilities (webpage: www.apd.myflorida.comm)

United Healthcare Children's Foundation:

What are the grants? The grants provide financial relief for families who have children with medical needs not covered or not fully covered by their commercial health benefit plan. The Foundation aims to fill the gap between what medical services/items your child needs and what your commercial health benefit plan will pay for.

How does the grant work? If a grant is approved by the Regional Board of Directors for your child, the grant will help pay for approved medical services/items after your commercial health benefit plan submits payment, if any. The grant funds are not paid to you or the child outright - you work with the Foundation on submitting invoices/bills for approved medical services/items after your commercial health benefit plan submits initial payment (if any) to the health care provider.

USA armed services:

"TRICARE", the military insurance, is authorizing ABA as an educational benefit to be cost-shared under the Program for Persons With Disabilities (PFPWD). Families in the military should contact their local Tricare office to obtain a case manager under the PFPWD." (Benefits may be limited to $1000/month.)

Washington PAVE STOMP Project, 6316 So. 12th St., Tacoma WA 98465, (253) 565-2266 (v/tty), (800)5-PARENT (v/tty), Fax: (253)566-8052, "We have info about Tricare as well as a specific fact sheet regarding ABA. We also have started a listserv specifically about Tricare funding autism treatments as there have been many enquiries."

The Military's Autism Treatment Policy (PDF) by Lt. Col. Scott Campbell

Medicaid and other USA state and Federal health assistance

Most states do not have income or asset tests for Medicaid eligibility for children who have disabilities. However, check for services called "Behavioral Health Rehabilitation Services." Medicaid Waivers may also be available under the "Katie Beckett Waiver". A child with special needs often qualifies when the parents' income exceeds normal Medicaid guidelines. The following links have more information:

Health and Behavioral Health Insurance

Many states now have mandated health insurance coverage for ABA services for children with autism. However, these laws apply to certain insurance companies. Self-funded insurance companies do not have to abide by these laws. These laws only pertain to children with autism and do not include ABA services for children with other types of disabilities. (See Richard Saffran's webpage on Autism: It has a lot of very helpful information.)

Dr. Olive currently accepts some insurance. Contact her for additional information.

Services in Texas Only

DARS grant programs


Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the United States, affecting an estimated one in 68 U.S. children.

1.) It incorporates diagnoses of Autistic Disorder, Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified, Rett's Disorder, Asperger's Disorder, and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. In 2008, there were approximately 50,100 Texas children under age 21 with ASD.

2.) With this number growing at a significant rate, there continues to be an unmet need for services. The DARS Autism Program was developed as an attempt to mitigate this need.

In August 2007, the Legislative Budget Board, in conjunction with the Office of the Governor, instructed the Health and Human Services Commission to transfer $5 million in general revenue for the biennium to DARS to fund services, such as applied behavior analysis (ABA), for children ages three through eight with an autism spectrum disorder.

Current Providers Listed Below:

  • Child Study Center, Ft. Worth, TX
  • Easter Seals-North Texas, Carrollton, TX
  • MHMRA-Harris County, UH-CL, Houston, TX
  • Texana Center, Rosenberg (Houston), TX
  • Any Baby Can + TSU, San Antonio, TX
  • Center for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD), Austin, TX

Private Pay

Clients, their parents/guardians, or anyone on their behalf may pay for behavioral services. At this time, we are accepting cash, checks, or credit card payments (with a convenience fee).

Custom Checkout